Every man is in touch with everything else, not through his hands, but through a bunch of long fibers that shoot out in all directions from the center of his abdomen. Those fibers join a man to his surroundings; they keep his balance; they give him stability. ~ A Separate Reality
More than stability, our connection with all else has the potential to provide us with stability while existing within multiple realities with fluidity. While we can attain balance when we are connected with the universal life flow of energy moving in, through and around us at all times, it is important to remain in a state of impeccable balance with our energy by ensuring that those around us are unaffected by our actions. This, as Daniel Quinn describes, is Leaver energy – the premise of the Leaver story is ‘man belongs to the world’ – in balance with all beings and situations as they unfold.
There are a lot of people in the world who consider themselves to be balanced individuals but the overriding energy that they emanate and thrust upon others is what Quinn calls the Taker mentality – the premise of the Taker story is ‘the world belongs to man’ – to exist in balance with all beings and situations as long as it is flowing in the manner that the Taker commands. The Taker goes so far as to believe that everything within the world, including the beings within it (plants, animals, natural resources, and other humans beings), also belong to them and will demand, often indirectly, that others bend to their will at which point the Taker consumes them energetically, physically, spiritually, and emotionally. The mind of the Taker, which is strongly rooted in the ego, is one of control, compliance, and conformity. The Taker appears to be strong as they constantly take control of their world and the world around them. But this is false strength as it comes from ego and fear as it emanates from within the center of their own reality without any respect or regard for the multitudes of other realities spinning all around them.
The task of the Taker is to ensure that they mold everyone around them into how they would like to create them to be and to force them to relinquish their own dream(s) in order to fully acknowledge and maintain the reality that the Taker has created for him/herself. This is immature, selfish, unevolved, and outright predatory.
In Journey to Ixtlan don Juan said, for a warrior to be inaccessible means that he touches the world around him sparingly. And above all, he deliberately avoids exhausting himself and others. He doesn’t use and squeeze people until they have shriveled to nothing, especially the people he loves. Takers do this.
Since the Leaver wants to allow things to flow without becoming confrontational, they are prone to become the prey of the Taker and without appropriate boundaries this can lead to loss of personal power and to being energetically consumed. So what is the Leaver, who operates through their connection with the natural flow of spirit, to do? The Leaver needs to have some sort of self-preservation strategy when dealing with this unnatural predatory energy.
- Access energy – we all have access to the inexhaustible well of universal life force energy – align!
- Take a stand – do not let others drain you of your precious life force energy – declare your boundaries!
- Stop their world – sit before them in a state of inner silence –amplify and reflect back to them their own drama as it unfolds!
- Be autonomous – maintain your reality and your dream – you are your own creator!
- Avoid passivity – speak your mind – do not bend to their will!
- Exercise your freedom – utilize free will and if necessary, walk away – unplug from their energy completely (no explanations necessary, you have nothing to defend)!
- Trust and surrender – to what Spirit has in store for you – not to what others impose upon you!
- Keep dancing – around the myriad of other people’s stories – dance your truth in constant creativity and freedom!
The world of the Takers is one vast prison, and except for a handful of Leavers scattered across the world, the entire human race is now inside that prison. ~ Daniel Quinn, Ishmael